When it comes to air conditioning, many people are clueless as to what exactly goes on behind the scenes to keep their house nice and cool. Air conditioning contractors are the experts, but like in any business, there are people who excel at their job and there are others who might not be at the top of their game. Air conditioning contractors can be expensive, so it's important to make sure you're getting bang for your buck. Here are 10 tips on hiring an air conditioning contractor.
1. Look for contractors that are affiliated with the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors' National Association or the Air Conditioning Contractors of America. You can find contractors in your local area that belong to these organizations by searching their websites.
2. Check if technicians are certified by the North American Technician Excellence organization.
3. Don't agree to hire a contractor that gives you an over-the-phone estimate without even looking at the problem.
4. Good contractors often have cooling estimation calculators and can give you estimates for the annual cost of your cooling system. If your contractor is hesitant to provide an annual estimate of the system they are recommending, perhaps look for business elsewhere.
5. Be hesitant to hire the contractor with an unusually low price estimate. Shop around and get several estimates, but keep in mind that if one estimate is drastically lower than the others, they could be selling unreliable or faulty products.
6. A good contractor will be professional and reliable. Look for a contractor who is on time and courteous.
7. Ask your friends for recommendations! It never hurts to get advice from others since, after all, they have actually experienced how their contractor does business.
8. Make sure your contractor is insured. In the case that anything goes wrong, you want to make sure your home is protected.
9. Ensure that you get an estimate in writing. An honest contractor will have no problem putting their work estimate in writing before they start the job.
10. Don't be afraid to ask for references! If you're new to the area and don't have anyone to ask for referrals, don't hesitate to ask a potential contractor for references from their prior clients.
If you have any questions or concerns about if the J.R. Perkins Heating & Cooling team is the right air conditioning contractor for you, or simply would like more information about air conditioning services in the Phoenix area, please don't hesitate to contact us!